Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I had no self-esteem at 17 [Robert Pattison]


Robert Pattinson: 'I Had No Self-Esteem at 17'


22-year-old Twilight hottie recalls being an awkward & insecure teen
By TheImproper.com


Twilight sensation Robert Pattinson has the world at his feet, thanks to the vampire romance's staggering popularity, but he recalls having been awkward and insecure as a teen. 

"I was shy, withdrawn and I didn’t have any self-esteem," says Pattinson, 22. "The year that I was 17 was one of the worst of my life, because I was searching for my place [in the world]."


Rob, who is humble and self-effacing (a stereotypically British trait), says he was so shy during his youth that he had a crush on a girl for years without telling her. 

"I was obsessed with a girl for years but I never talked to her because I was extremely shy," Pattinson recalls. "Years later, I told her about it and she was totally shocked because she hadn’t noticed anything. But she is the reason I ultimately got into acting."


Ironically, Rob is now a major heartthrob with legions of young fans around the world. But he's as stunned by the whirlwind fallout of Twilight's astonishing success as everyone else is. "Last year, I was talking about how I wanted a girlfriend and I didn’t even have a date," says Pattinson. "Now, I am a sex symbol for 16-year-olds, but that doesn’t really get me anywhere, either," he laughs. 



Pattinson, who has morphed from virtual unknown to overnight tabloid sensation, maintains that he's the same person as before. "It’s strange, because I don’t see myself as a star—not for a second," he says. 

As Pattinson gears up to begin shooting New Moon (the sequel to Twilight) in March, his star is rising rapidly. When asked if he wishes he could be immortal (as his character, the alluring Edward Cullen is), Rob is philosophical. 

"No," he says. "Maybe I’m too young to realize the joy of an eternal life, but I’m not afraid of getting old or dying. Ask me again on my deathbed; maybe I’ll answer differently then."


New Moon shines in November, 2009.


No comments:

Post a Comment